Hello! I'm gay so this is my bread and butter. I don't groove with horror movies that have the vibe "oh dang that girl is possessed and just got fake blood everywhere", I'm more about movies that make you go, "huh, ok I guess" after you finish watching them. And because our generation loves listicles, here are 5 movies in literally no order or rhyme.
1. House (or Hausu), a 1977 Japanese horror movie that follows seven high school girls moving to their aunt's dilapidated castle in the countryside. This is a horror-comedy too, so nothing is really outright scary and it is so old, the green screen used is actually blue because they hadn't invented the technology yet.
Why you should watch: This film is a laugh riot! The high school girls are all stereotypes and are named like it (character names include: Gorgeous, Prof, Kung Fu, and Sweet). Every death in the movie is meant to be comical, my favorite being killed by a watermelon.
Where to watch: Rent on Amazon or dig through the internet
2. Beetlejuice, a 1988 movie director Tim Burton. I hope this more of a reminder to watch Beetlejuice rather than a recommendation because this movie? This movie SLAPS. This would be another horror-comedy, complete with the ghosts, sand demon worms, and a midlife couple now having an afterlife crisis
Why you should watch: WINONA RYDER!!! If you think she's cool in Stranger Things, she's 100 times better here. Also, the dining room scene set to the song Banana Boat Song by Harry Belafonte is truly a classic cinematic moment.
Where to watch: dig through the internet
3. You've heard of this movie right? This is also the first movie that is from this century. It's Us, 2019. We follow the emotional turmoil of Lupita Nyong'o and her family as the entire world is attacked by doppelgangers. And you get to watch Lupita Nyong'o give a master class in acting for two hours.
Why you should watch: Has a ton of elements if you like classic horror movies that you can look out for and go "Oh wow! I know what that is!" The director, Jordan Peele is excellent at cinematic shots as well, the first entry into the movie being an extended shot of like forty rabbits.
Where to watch: Hulu w/ HBO
4. Greener Grass, also a recent movie from the list debuting in 2019. This is an indie cut and I think the best way to know if you'd like this movie is if you like this poster. No? Scroll to the next one. Yes? Hell yeah broski. We follow a surreal suburban environment where people only drive golf carts, everything is pastel, and our main character gives away her baby because her friend thought it was cute
Why you should watch: hmm...I think the best reason is that a 10-year boy turns into a dog and the only difference this makes is he's better at playing catch with his dad. Also, Beck Bennet is here from SNL if that's your groove.
Where to watch: Hulu
5. Clue, 1985, because who doesn't love a movie based on a board game. This movie is again a horror-comedy and you get to watch a whole group of adults try to figure the 'who done it' throughout the whole night, ft. Tim Curry.
Why you should watch: If you like Knives Out, 2019, this is the older wine mom to that movie. There are actually three endings to the movie too, so you get to form your own opinions while watching the whole night go down.
Where to watch: Amazon Prime